DESIGNER JOB DESCRIPTION (MID-LEVEL)
We're Softway. We are an independent digital agency with offices in Houston, TX and Bengaluru, India. We do work we're proud of. Work that makes an impact on our clients' business and, hopefully, the world. We do it by bringing bright people together from all walks of life and every imaginable background, letting them loose on a challenge, and giving them the freedom to explore the possibilities.
*PLEASE NOTE: We will only consider applicants who include a resume and a link to a portfolio.
If we choose to begin the interview process with you, we will be giving you a design assignment and we typically go through multiple rounds of interviews. (We have to get to know you and you have to get to know us—it has to be the right fit for everyone.)
A few key experiences we're looking for:
- Web Design
- Mobile App Design
- Desktop Apps
- Branding (Logos, Identity Systems, Typography, etc.)
WHO WE WANT:
We’re looking for a Designer with 3-5+ years of experience to join our Houston team. The following items should sound like you:
- Highly conceptual
Before you begin to design, you think. And then think some more. Then you hit your sketchbook. We need big ideas and lots of them.
- A designer for humans
You think about the end-user of your design and how you can make things simpler, better, and more enjoyable—no matter the size or scope of the project.
- You take action
You don't wait for others to tell you what to do—you figure things out on your own. You ask questions. You get clarity. You iterate and iterate. You find inspiration outside, online, in secret places. You find the best way.
- A well-calloused ego
Great work works. But to get to great work, you have to take a few punches in the creative gut once and a while. The bar is high here and we all help each other raise it every day.
You recognize the importance of communication and take a proactive approach to communicating with team members.
You are going to design lots of different things for very different clients at Softway. You should get just as fired up about creating a logo as you do designing a corporate website. We do it all.
WHO WE DON’T WANT:
We want to save your time and our time, so here are a few things we don’t want in a graphic designer. If any of these things sound like you at all, please do not apply. This is not the place for you.
- You are too good to work on an executive power point presentation or something not-so-creative. (We do a wide range of projects and they all can’t be super high level creative. We have fun no matter what we do and find joy in the process and the people around us).
- You are afraid of working directly clients and presenting to them. (Our clients see us as partners and enjoy working face-to-face with the creative team).
- You can’t handle change, a little chaos, sarcasm, or shade. (Things change here daily, no project is the same, and we love each other enough to throw as much shade as possible.)
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU:
As a graphic designer at Softway, we expect you to:
- Live and breathe the brands we work with—follow and extend their brand guidelines.
- Experiment and iterate, a lot.
- Be comfortable presenting work to clients.
- Listen, really listen, to your colleagues and your clients.
- Own your projects and ask lots of questions.
- Be a wizard with design tools (Creative Cloud).
- Knowledge of UX and UX tools like Axure and InVision
- Love typography and not afraid to use color.
- Bring your passions, no matter how peculiar, to the agency.
- Understand the technology platforms we use every day.
- Do stuff besides design. You are the designer, but we can always use an extra brain or set of hands here and there for non-design type things.
- Collaborate easily with Creative Directors, Art Directors, Writers, other Designers, Project Managers, Executives, and the Dev team.
- Work at client sites, following their internal standards and guidelines.
WHAT YOU’LL WORK ON:
Like a good, healthy, slightly crazy agency, we work across channels and media for our clients, so you’ll design a bit of everything:
Fully integrated campaigns as well as standalone pieces like websites, emails, apps, display ads, etc.
Branding elements like logos, typography, color palettes, patterns, and photography direction
- Print & editorial
Blog articles, whitepapers, case studies, and the occasional print piece.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK AT SOFTWAY?
- A special place.
Softway is an agency that’s truly a special place to call home. It’s hard to explain. Just visit a few times and you’ll see.
- An ego-less workplace.
While there are egos here, none are too big for the organization. We’re ambitious, not pretentious. We all have each other’s backs.
- We are lovers of learning.
We push each other to do things differently, to learn a new skill, to share a success. We push you, but we won’t let you struggle.
- We take work and play very seriously.
In a perfect world, the lines between the two are blurred. We like to keep it light around here.
- Salary and benefits
You’ll get a competitive salary. Paid time off. Full benefits.